LakePoint, Ga. - Kennesaw State's David Chabut and North Florida's Frank German put together outstanding performances in league play to earn this week's ASUN Conference Baseball weekly awards, the league office announced on Monday.
Chabut takes home his first career ASUN Player of the Week honor after leading the Owls to a big series win against No. 16 Stetson. The leadoff man set the tone for Kennesaw State's offense as he went 8-for-14 against the nation's best pitching staff coming into the weekend. He produced multi-hit games in all three weekend contests, including a 4-for-5 performance in the second game. Chabut finished the week with four runs scored, three of them coming in conference action. For the week, his batting average was .529, while his OBP sat at .619. Chabut also added two walks for the week as Kennesaw State won its second ASUN league series.
German collects his third career ASUN Pitcher of the Week award, second of this season, after another great start for the Ospreys last week. German pitched eight shutout innings against USC Upstate, setting the tone for a weekend sweep for the Ospreys. The righty was dominant from the start as he only allowed four hits. He struck out seven batters, giving him seven or more K's in six consecutive starts. German also only allowed one walk and he lowered his ERA to an ASUN-best 0.96 on the season, 0.64 in conference play.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - Apr. 9th
David Chabut, Kennesaw State
Junior | Infielder | Loganville, Ga. | Integrative Studies
- First Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor; second for the Owls this year
- Produced three multi-hit games to lead the Owls to a series win vs. No. 16 Stetson
- Combined to go 8-for-14 against the nation's best pitching staff coming into the weekend
- Scored two runs in the 9-6 come from behind win to open the weekend series
- Finished the week batting .571 in conference play with a .625 OBP
Other Nominees: Eli Lovell, FGCU; Sam Armstrong, Jacksonville; Lee Solomon, Lipscomb; Tanner Murphy, North Florida.
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher the Week - Apr. 9th
Frank German, North Florida
Junior | Pitcher | Tampa, Fla. | Computing & Information Science
- Third Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; second this season
- Pitched eight shutout innings to set the tone for a weekend sweep vs. USC Upstate
- Allowed four hits and only issued one walk in his outing against the Spartans
- Struck out seven batters, marking his sixth consecutive start with seven or more K's
- Lowered his ERA to an ASUN-best 0.96, while improving his record to 5-1 on the year
Other Nominees: Trey Vickery, FGCU; Chris Gau, Jacksonville; Jake Rothwell, Kennesaw State.
|Date||Player of the Week||Pitcher of the Week|
|Feb. 19||Alex Brait, FGCU||Tyler Santana, Jacksonville|
|Feb. 26||Kohl Gilmore, FGCU||Mitchell Senger, Stetson|
|Mar. 5||Charlie Carpenter, USC Upstate||Logan Gilbert, Stetson|
|Mar. 12||Richie Garcia, FGCU||Mitchell Senger, Stetson|
|Mar. 19||Brooks Wilson, Stetson||Frank German, North Florida|
|Mar. 26||Griffin Helms, Kennesaw State||Kevin Hickey, USC Upstate|
|Apr. 2||Jorge Arenas, Stetson||Evan Lumbert, FGCU|
|Apr. 9||David Chabut, Kennesaw State||Frank German, North Florida|