LakePoint, Ga. - Stetson's Jorge Arenas and FGCU's Evan Lumbert were rewarded for outstanding performances last week by bringing home the ASUN Conference Baseball weekly honors, the league office announced on Monday.
Arenas collects his first career ASUN Player of the Week award after recording at least one hit in every Stetson game last week. The sophomore shortstop was moved up to the three hole in the lineup and he delivered big time for the Hatters. In a midweek contest against South Florida (20-9 record), Arenas was the key man as he went 2-for-5 with three RBI in a 5-3 victory. He followed that up with two multi-hit games in the Volusia County rivalry series against Bethune-Cookman. Arenas recorded an RBI in all three games and launched a homer in a 2-0 win that helped the Hatters clinch the weekend series. For the week, Arenas slashed .438/.444/.625, while adding two stolen bases and scoring two runs offensively. His defense was stellar once again as he recorded a 1.000 fielding percentage on 17 total chances.
Lumbert earns his first career ASUN Pitcher of the Week honor after a career night against in-state rival Miami (Fla.). The junior pitched a career-best 8.0 innings and was dominant all night long. He only allowed two hits, while giving up just one walk. Lumbert struck out a career-high 12 batters to help FGCU secure the 1-0 victory against the Hurricanes. He struck out two batters in each of the first four innings, while finishing strong with three strikeouts in his final two innings pitched. Lumbert moved his record to 4-0 on the season and lowered his ERA to 2.21.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - Apr. 2nd
Jorge Arenas, Stetson
Sophomore | Shortstop | Miami Shores, Fla. | Sport Business
- First Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor; second for the Hatters this year
- Excelled hitting in the three hole with three multi-hit games for Hatters last week
- Combined for one homer and six RBI to help Stetson go a perfect 4-0 on the week
- Finished the week slashing .438/.444/.625 after going 7-for-16 with two runs scored
- Added two stolen bases and was flawless in 17 total chances defensively last week
Other Nominees: Christian Proffitt, FGCU; Scott Dubrule, Jacksonville; Jake Franklin, Kennesaw State; Jesse Uttendorfer, NJIT; Blake Voyles, North Florida; Charlie Carpenter, USC Upstate.
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher the Week - Apr. 2nd
Evan Lumbert, FGCU
Junior | Pitcher | Orlando, Fla. | Exercise Science
- First Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; first for FGCU this season
- Threw a career-high eight innings in victory against in-state rival Miami (Fla.)
- Held the Hurricanes to only two hits and allowed only one walk in his outing
- Dominated all night long striking out 12 batters, a new career-high for the junior
- Improved his record to 4-0 on the season, while lowering his season ERA to 2.21
Other Nominees: Chris Gau, Jacksonville; AJ Moore, Kennesaw State; Frank German, North Florida; Joey Gonzalez, Stetson.
|Date||Player of the Week||Pitcher of the Week|
|Feb. 19||Alex Brait, FGCU||Tyler Santana, Jacksonville|
|Feb. 26||Kohl Gilmore, FGCU||Mitchell Senger, Stetson|
|Mar. 5||Charlie Carpenter, USC Upstate||Logan Gilbert, Stetson|
|Mar. 12||Richie Garcia, FGCU||Mitchell Senger, Stetson|
|Mar. 19||Brooks Wilson, Stetson||Frank German, North Florida|
|Mar. 26||Griffin Helms, Kennesaw State||Kevin Hickey, USC Upstate|
|Apr. 2||Jorge Arenas, Stetson||Evan Lumbert, FGCU|