LakePoint, Ga. - Kennesaw State's Griffin Helms and USC Upstate's Kevin Hickey had dominating performances last week to earn this week's ASUN Conference Baseball weekly awards, the league office announced on Monday.
Helms brings home his first career ASUN Player of the Week honor after crushing the ball all weekend long for the Owls. Helms opened the week by tying KSU's single-game RBI record in the Division I era as he produced seven on three hits. He hit a three-run double and three-run homer in back-to-back innings before adding a sacrifice fly later on. Helms closed out the weekend with back-to-back three RBI performance. He finished with a .667 batting average, while producing a .688 on-base percentage. His slugging percentage was 1.417 as he had three doubles and one homerun for the Owls last week. He added five runs scored and had a 1.000 fielding percentage behind the plate.
Hickey collects his first career ASUN Pitcher of the Week award after a career-best performance on the weekend against Dayton. The senior right hander pitched his first career complete game shutout in an 8-0 win on Saturday. Hickey only allowed six hits and one walk all game long, while striking out five Flyers in the process. It marks the third time this season that Hickey struck out at least five batters. His previous longest outing was 7.2 innings back in 2017. He became the first Spartan since May 23, 2013 to pitch a complete game shutout and lowered his season ERA to 2.02 following the victory.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - Mar. 26
Griffin Helms, Kennesaw State
Senior | Catcher | Norcross, Ga. | Exercise Science
- First Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor; first for Kennesaw State this season
- Combined for 13 RBI, two homers and three doubles in dominating offensive performance
- Produced three multi-hit games to lead the Owls to weekend sweep
- Finished the week slashing .667/.688/1.417 after going 8-for-12 at the plate
- Scored five runs and added three walks offensively; had a perfect fielding percentage with 18 putouts
Other Nominees: Richie Garcia, FGCU; Sam Armstrong, Jacksonville; Tanner Murphy, North Florida; Russell Schwertfeger, USC Upstate.
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher the Week - Mar. 26
Kevin Hickey, USC Upstate
Senior | Pitcher | Fairfield, Conn.
- First Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; first for USC Upstate this season
- Pitched his first career complete game in Saturday's win against Dayton
- Only gave up six hits and one walk in first shutout of his Spartan career
- Struck out five batters, marking the third time this season he has struck out five or more opponents
- Threw the first complete game shutout for the Spartans since May 23, 2013; lowered his season ERA to 2.02
Other Nominees: Mario Leon, FGCU; AJ Moore, Kennesaw State; Frank German, North Florida; Logan Gilbert, Stetson.
|Date||Player of the Week||Pitcher of the Week|
|Feb. 19||Alex Brait, FGCU||Tyler Santana, Jacksonville|
|Feb. 26||Kohl Gilmore, FGCU||Mitchell Senger, Stetson|
|Mar. 5||Charlie Carpenter, USC Upstate||Logan Gilbert, Stetson|
|Mar. 12||Richie Garcia, FGCU||Mitchell Senger, Stetson|
|Mar. 19||Brooks Wilson, Stetson||Frank German, North Florida|
|Mar. 26||Griffin Helms, Kennesaw State||Kevin Hickey, USC Upstate|