LakePoint, Ga. - Stetson's Brooks Wilson and North Florida's Frank German collected this week's ASUN Conference Baseball weekly honors following outstanding performances, the league office announced on Monday afternoon.
Wilson earns his first career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week award, his second career weekly award after earning Pitcher of the Week honors in 2016. The senior was on fire at the plate, going 9-for-18 with four multi-hit games for the Hatters. For the week, Wilson slashed .500/.511/.611 on the week, with two doubles, two RBI and a stolen base. On the mound, Wilson struck out eight batters in 4.0 innings of work out of the bullpen. He earned the victory in a 3-2 decision against Rhode Island, where Wilson struck out six batters in three shutout innings. Wilson finished the week with a 18.00 K/9 ratio and continues to be a weapon for the Hatters at the plate and on the mound.
German picks up his second career ASUN Pitcher of the Week award after setting a new career-high in his lone start last week. The junior from Tampa, Fla. pitched 8.0 innings without allowing an earned run to help the Ospreys defeat Memphis 4-1. It marked his longest career outing for the Ospreys. He struckout nine batters, six of them coming in the first four innings as the righty set the tone for the North Florida victory. He only allowed one hit in his outing and at one stretch retired 15-straight Memphis batters. German improved his record to 2-1 on the year and lowered his ERA to 1.40. The nine strikeouts marked a new single-season best mark for any Osprey pitcher this year.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - Mar. 19
Brooks Wilson, Stetson
Senior | Pitcher/First Basemen | Lakeland, Fla. | Business
- First Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor; second weekly award of his career
- Produced four multi-hit games last week; posted a .500 batting average on the week
- Finished with two doubles, two RBI and a .611 slugging percentage
- Collected the win on the mound pitching 3.0 shutout innings in relief vs. Rhode Island
- Struck out eight batters in 4.0 innings of work; finished week with a 18.00 K/9 average
Other Nominees: Jay Hayes, FGCU; Angel Camacho, Jacksonville; Tevin Symonette, Lipscomb; Jesse Uttendorfer, NJIT; Chris Berry, North Florida; Kyle Gensler, USC Upstate.
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher the Week - Mar. 19
Frank German, North Florida
Junior | Pitcher | Tampa, Fla. | Computing & Information Science
- Second Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; first this season
- Pitched a career-high eight innings in series opener against Memphis
- Allowed only one hit and no earned runs to help secure the 4-1 victory
- Dominated on the mound with nine strikeouts, with six coming in the first four innings
- His nine K's were the most by an UNF pitcher in a game this season; lowered his season ERA to 1.40
Other Nominees: Chris Gau, Jacksonville; AJ Moore, Kennesaw State; Robbie Knox, Lipscomb; Tommy Derer, NJIT; Blake Whitney, USC Upstate; Logan Gilbert, Stetson.
|Date||Player of the Week||Pitcher of the Week|
|Feb. 19||Alex Brait, FGCU||Tyler Santana, Jacksonville|
|Feb. 26||Kohl Gilmore, FGCU||Mitchell Senger, Stetson|
|Mar. 5||Charlie Carpenter, USC Upstate||Logan Gilbert, Stetson|
|Mar. 12||Richie Garcia, FGCU||Mitchell Senger, Stetson|
|Mar. 19||Brooks Wilson, Stetson||Frank German, North Florida|