LakePoint, Ga. - Following an undefeated opening weekend, FGCU's Alex Brait collected his first career ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week honor. Jacksonville's Tyler Santana earned Pitcher of the Week honors after shutting down a top-25 opponent in his start on opening weekend.
Brait was a hitting machine for the Eagles as he went 8-for-20 in the first four games combined. He produced three multi-hit games and came up clutch as well. In the opening game, his walk-off single earned the Eagles an 6-5 win against Eastern Michigan. He had a double and a triple in the next contest, while hitting a home run in Saturday's wild 12-11 victory. Brait capped off the weekend with an RBI in the series finale to help FGCU go 4-0 to start the campaign. He hit .400 for the week and slugged .750 while finishing with a combined nine runs batted in.
Santana put together an incredible outing in his first career start for the Dolphins. The sophomore pitched seven innings and allowed only one run against No. 22-ranked West Virginia. Jacksonville won the game 7-4 to even the series, which they eventually would win. Santana tossed a career-high seven strikeouts and only allowed one walk in his outing. The seven innings pitched were also a career-long for the righty. The top-25 ranked Mountaineers could only muster two hits off Santana.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - Feb. 19
Alex Brait, FGCU
Junior | Catcher/Designated Hitter | Viera, Fla.
- First Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor
- Hit .400 going 8-for-20 at the plate to lead Eagles to 4-0 start
- Produced a walk-off RBI single in the season opener against Eastern Michigan
- Finished the week with nine RBI and four extra-base hits, including a home run
- Collected three multi-hit games in the season-opening series
- Had two or more RBIs in three of the four victories, while slugging .750 on the week
Other Nominees: Scott Dubrule, Jacksonville; Grant Williams, Kennesaw State; Wesley Weeks, North Florida; Brooks Wilson, Stetson.
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher the Week - Feb. 19
Tyler Santana, Jacksonville
Sophomore | Pitcher | Miami Springs, Fla.
- First Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award
- Collected his first win of the season defeating #22 West Virginia
- Pitched 7.0 innings allowing only two hits and giving up just one run
- Struck out a career-high seven batters in his first career start
- Only allowed one walk against a top-25 ranked opponent
- Helped Jacksonville win the series against #22 West Virginia to open the 2018 season
Other Nominees: Evan Lumbert, FGCU; Kyle Kemp, Lipscomb; Trace Norkus, North Florida; Kevin Hickey, USC Upstate; Jack Perkins, Stetson.
|Date||Player of the Week||Pitcher of the Week|
|Feb. 19||Alex Brait, FGCU||Tyler Santana, Jacksonville|