LakePoint, Ga. - Nick Rivera tied an FGCU program record to become the third Eagle to garner ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week Honors in 2017, while Lipscomb's Jeffrey Passantino is the second Bisons hurler to earn ASUN Conference Pitcher of the Week after tying a career-high in strikeouts, as announced by the league office this Monday.
Rivera wins the third ASUN Player of the Week Honor of his career after helping FGCU to a 4-0 record this past week. The Eagles swept their three-game series with visiting Rutgers and beat No. 1 Florida State for the program's first-ever win against a top-ranked team. Rivera tied a program record with nine RBIs in game two against the Scarlet Knights, becoming just the second player in the ASUN to hit multiple home runs in a single outing and falling just a double short of the cycle. The senior hit in all four of his appearances on the way to slashing .533/.588/1.067 and extending his on-base streak to 14 consecutive games.
Passantino aided Lipscomb in its series sweep of Illinois State this weekend, tossing seven shutout innings in the second leg of the Bisons' Saturday doubleheader with the Redbirds. Passantino faced just three batters over the minimum, as the right-handed junior held the visiting lineup to just four hits without a single walk. Passantino tied a career-high with 10 strikeouts in his first winning decision of 2017, and has recorded three consecutive quality starts for the Bisons with a season ERA of 1.78.
ASUN Baseball Player of the Week - Mar. 20th
Nick Rivera, FGCU
Senior | First Baseman/Designated Hitter | Cape Coral, Fla. | Criminal Justice
- Third Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week Award; first of the season
- Tied a program record with 9 RBIs in FGCU's game two victory over Rutgers, hitting a three-run homer and a grand slam
- Matched career highs in hits (4) and home runs (2) during that game, falling a double shy of the cycle
- Recorded a knock in all four of FGCU's wins last week, with 16 total bases collected
- Aided the Eagles toward their first ever win against a top ranked opponent, going one-for-four versus No. 1 Florida State
- Slashed .533/.588/1.067 with 10 RBIs on the week, and slugged 1.364 in FGCU's three-game sweep of Rutgers
Other Nominees: Nathan Koslowski, Jacksonville; Christian Diaz, North Florida; Charlie Carpenter, USC Upstate.
ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week - Mar. 20th
Jeffrey Passantino, Lipscomb
Junior | Right-Handed Pitcher | Fort Myers, Fla. | Business Finance
- Third Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week Award; first of 2017
- Tossed seven shutout innings in Lipscomb's game two win over Illinois State
- Faced just three over the minimum, allowing just four hits on the day
- Tied a career-high with 10 strikeouts without issuing a single walk
- Earned his first win of the season in his third consecutive quality start
- Retired 13 consecutive batters before getting replaced at the start of the eighth inning
Other Nominees: Garrett Anderson, FGCU; Casey Kulina, Jacksonville; Austin Drury, North Florida; Logan Gilbert, Stetson.
|Date||Player of the Week||Pitcher of the Week|
|Feb. 20th||Richie Garcia, FGCU
||Frank German, North Florida|
|Feb. 27th||Scott Dubrule, Jacksonville
||Brady Puckett, Lipscomb|
|Mar. 6th||Taylor Allum, Kennesaw State||Kutter Crawford, FGCU|
|Mar. 13th||Matt Reardon, FGCU||Peyton Gray, FGCU|
|Mar. 20th||Nick Rivera, FGCU||Jeffrey Passantino, Lipscomb|