Preseason All-Conference Team & Poll
MACON, Ga. – Defending Atlantic Sun Baseball Regular Season Champions, North Florida return as preseason favorite to claim back-to-back titles after receiving four votes in the coaches poll with 58 points ahead of FGCU with 50 points and three first-place votes. 2015 A-Sun Tournament Champions, Lipscomb landed at No. 3 in the rankings ahead of Stetson, who earned the final first-place vote.
FGCU's Jake Noll secured the A-Sun Preseason Player of the Year recognition for the second-straight season after batting .348 with 79 total hits and 41 RBIs as a sophomore. Noll added 37 runs and 15 stolen bases for the Eagles last season with a .406 on-base percentage. A unanimous selection to the A-Sun Preseason Team, Noll is one of two Eagles on the squad.
Last season's A-Sun Pitcher and Freshman of the Year, Jacksonville's Michael Baumann captured the Preseason Pitcher of the Year nod following his stellar opening campaign with a 7-1 record, 2.24 ERA & 84 strikeouts. He ranked second in the A-Sun for ERA, while his win total and strikeouts sat third among A-Sun hurlers.
North Florida's Patrick Ervin collected the final preseason award as the Osprey second basemen was tabbed the Preseason Defensive Player of the Year. Last season, Ervin posted a .994 fielding percentage & helped to turn 44 double plays, which ranked second in the conference. His 225 assists were most across the A-Sun, while he committed only two errors in 60 games.
Read more on the Atlantic Sun Preseason All-Conference team as voted on by the league coaches:
Atlantic Sun Preseason All-Conference Team (* - Denotes unanimous selection)
- Michael Baumann, Jacksonville, SP, So. - The 2015 A-Sun Pitcher & Freshman of the Year, Baumann posted a 4-1 record in league play with a 2.34 ERA. He held opposing batters to .221 at the plate throughout the year.
- Brady Puckett, Lipscomb, SP, So. - An All-Freshman Team selection last season, Puckett finished with a 7-3 record, 4.54 ERA and 45 strikeouts. One of his victories came against No. 1 Vanderbilt, who finished as the NCAA Runner-up.
- Mitchell Jordan, Stetson, SP, Jr. - Landed on Second Team All-Conference last season after leading the A-Sun with a 5-1 record in league play. He ended the year with a 3.28 ERA and 58 strikeouts.
- Corbin Olmstead, North Florida, RP, Sr. - First Team All-Conference last season, Olmstead tied for the league lead in saves with nine with a 1-0 record & 0.25 ERA. He struck out 48 batters, while allowing only 21 hits.
- Keith Skinner, North Florida, C, Sr. - Skinner batted .325 last season with 50 total hits and 32 RBIs. He added 26 runs, seven doubles and three homers in 43 games played.
- *Nick Rivera, FGCU, 1B, Sr. - The senior tied for sixth in batting last year at .347, while tallying 20 doubles, 10 homers and 70 RBIs. He led the league in RBIs and walks with 40, while his slugging percentage of .608 sat third in the A-Sun.
- *Jake Noll, FGCU, 2B, Jr. - The A-Sun Preseason Player of the Year, Noll ranked fourth in the A-Sun for batting, while his 79 total hits tied for third. On the basepaths, he added 15 stolen bases, which tied for sixth in the conference.
- Cory Reid, Stetson, 3B, Sr. - Reid ranked second in the A-Sun for runs scored (62), triples (6) & total bases (128) trailing only last year's Player of the Year Donnie Dewees in each category. His 78 hits sat sixth in the league, while he added eight homers.
- Kyle Brooks, North Florida, SS, Sr. - At short, Brooks helped UNF turn 33 double plays last season and added 160 assists. At the plate, he totaled 50 runs with a .303 average and 25 RBIs.
- Daniel Fickas, USC Upstate, SS, Jr. - Fickas ranked ninth in the A-Sun for batting (.335) last year with 74 hits including eight doubles and three home runs. In the field, he amassed 149 assists.
- Taylor Allum, Kennesaw State, OF, So. - Second Team All-Conference nod at DH as a freshman, Allum boasted a .320 average in 41 games with eight doubles and 19 RBIs.
- Michael Gigliotti, Lipscomb, OF, So. - A Second Team All-Conference honoree as a freshman outfielder, Gigliotti hit .332 with 51 runs, 77 hits and five homers. His 17 stolen bases ranked fifth in the A-Sun.
- Vance Vizcaino, Stetson, OF, Jr. - First Team All-Conference in 2015, Vizcaino tied for third in the league with 79 hits on his .341 average. He totaled five triples with 16 doubles adding 13 stolen bases.
- *Corbin Olmstead, North Florida, DH, Sr. - First Team All-Conference selection at both DH and Relief Pitcher last season, Olmstead belted 13 homers to push his slugging percentage to .561. He totaled 46 runs, 13 doubles and 42 RBIs at DH.
For the fifth-straight year, the Atlantic Sun took to social media to poll the fans for the conference preseason superlative awards. Jacksonville's Austin Hays earned the title of Fan-Voted Preseason Player of the Year with 513 votes, while Lipscomb hurler Brady Puckett received 347 votes to become the Fan-Voted Preseason Pitcher of the Year. Kennesaw State's Grant Williams collected 407 votes to earn the Fan-Voted Preseason Defensive Player of the Year. This year a total of 4,209 votes were submitted via social media.