MACON, Ga. - North Florida's Donnie Dewees became the first Osprey to claim the Atlantic Sun Baseball Player of the Year honor as he earned unanimous selection for the accolade. Jacksonville's Michael Baumann collected the A-Sun Pitcher of the Year and Freshman of the Year awards, while Lipscomb's Grant Massey was tabbed the Defensive Player of the Year. UNF's Smoke Laval collected the A-Sun Coach of the Year for the first time in his career.
Dewees led the A-Sun in nearly all offensive categories with a .437 batting average, .771 slugging, .494 on-base, 81 runs scored, 101 hits, seven triples and 17 home runs to go along with 21 stolen bases. The sophomore outfielder already ranks in the A-Sun single-season record books for hits, runs scored and triples. He ranks second in the NCAA for batting and leads the nation in hits and runs scored.
Baumann becomes the first-ever freshman to secure the A-Sun Pitcher of the Year as the Mahotmedi, Minn. native posted a 7-1 record with a 2.35 ERA in 14 starts. He compiled 79 strikeouts in 80.1 innings and combined for two shutouts. In league play, Baumann collected four wins with a 2.34 ERA. For the season, Baumann ranked in the top-five of the A-Sun for ERA, opposing batting average, strikeouts and wins.
Grant Massey's .980 fielding percentage with only five errors in 249 chances earned him the A-Sun Defensive Player of the Year honor. As a shortstop, Massey connected on 32 double plays with 167 assists and 77 putouts. He helped the Lipscomb defense post a .977 fielding percentage as a team, which ranks second in the A-Sun.
Smoke Laval becomes the first UNF Head Coach to land the A-Sun Coach of the Year accolade after guiding the Ospreys to a Division I program record 42 victories and earning North Florida's first-ever regular season title with a 16-5 league mark.
Read more on the first team all-conference selections below:
Atlantic Sun First Team All-Conference
- *Michael Baumann, Jacksonville, SP: A-Sun Pitcher and Freshman of the Year. Finished year with 7-1 record.
- Travis Bergen, Kennesaw State, SP: Leads A-Sun in innings pitched (94.0) and ranks third with 82 strikeouts.
- Jordan Hillyer, Kennesaw State, SP: Tied for conference lead with 91 strikeouts and sits third in A-Sun for ERA with 2.28.
- Ian Martinez-McGraw, Lipscomb, SP: Sits with 7-3 record, 2.39 ERA in 86.2 innings pitched
- Corbin Olmstead, North Florida, RP: Tied for conference lead with nine saves on 0.28 ERA in 20 appearances.
- Patrick Mazeika, Stetson, C: Batted .309 for season with 13 doubles, seven homers and 50 RBIs.
- Nick Rivera, FGCU, 1B: Led A-Sun with 67 RBIs, while posting third-best batting average of .360.
- Angelo Amendolare, Jacksonville, 2B: Ranks second in A-Sun with .364 batting average. His 79 hits trail only Dewees.
- Grant Massey, Lipscomb, SS: A-Sun Defensive Player of the Year. Added .345 average with 71 hits and 43 RBIs.
- *Trent Higginbothem, North Florida, 3B: Ranked third in A-Sun with 61 RBIs and 49 runs scored. Totaled seven homers and 72 hits.
- *Donnie Dewees, North Florida, OF: A-Sun Player of the Year. Average of .437 ranks seventh in A-Sun single-season history.
- Cole Bauml, Northern Kentucky, OF: Totaled 25 doubles, which is tied for 14th most in A-sun single-season history.
- Vance Vizcaino, Stetson, OF: Tied for third-most hits in A-Sun (74), while batting .344 with five triples.
- *Corbin Olmstead, North Florida, DH: Ranks second in A-Sun with 12 homers and fourth in conference for slugging (.551).
* - Denotes a unanimous selection