MACON, Ga. - Jacksonville's Parker Perez and Lipscomb's Jeffrey Passantino took home this week's Atlantic Sun Baseball Player of the Week honors, announced Monday by the league office.
Perez made it back-to-back weeks that Jacksonville has earned the A-Sun Player of the Week award after leading the Dolphins to a conference series win over Kennesaw State. Perez went 9-for-14 in the three-game set against the Owls to earn his first career weekly honor. In the rubber match his stat line read 5-for-6 at the plate, scored four runs, including a double and an RBI. For the week he batted .556 and had a .611 slugging percentage. It's the first five-hit game for a Dolphin since 2011. Perez raised his season batting average by .39 points over the course of the week.
Passantino earns his second career A-Sun Pitcher of the Week award, both coming this season. The freshman from Fort Myers, Fla. dazzled on the mound against Stetson throwing eight shutout innings to pick up the win. He only allowed four hits and held Stetson to a .143 batting average. Passantino also did not walk a single batter while striking out seven in the contest. He has now pitched 18.0 scoreless innings and lowered his season ERA to 2.29, best on the Lipscomb Bisons pitching staff. He currently ranks third among A-Sun pitchers with 9.33 strikeouts per nine innings.
Atlantic Sun Baseball Player of the Week - May 11th
Parker Perez, Jacksonville
Junior | Outfielder / Pitcher | Winter Springs, Fla.
- First Career Atlantic Sun Player of the Week; second consecutive for a JU player
- Recorded the first five hit game for a Dolphin since 2011
- Finished the week going 10-for-18 overall for a .556 batting average
- Went 9-for-14 in conference weekend series against Kennesaw State, including three multi-hit games
- Posted one double, one RBI and one steal over the course of the week
- Raised his batting average 0.39 points with 10 hits last week
Other Nominees: Nick Rivera, FGCU; Jeremy Howell, Kennesaw State; Trent Higginbothem, North Florida; Trey Ganns, Northern Kentucky; Patrick Mazeika, Stetson.
Atlantic Sun Baseball Pitcher the Week - May 11th
Jeffrey Passantino, Lipscomb
Freshman | Right-Handed Pitcher | Fort Myers, Fla.
- Second Career Atlantic Sun Pitcher of the Week; second this season
- Tossed eight shutout innings in 3-1 victory over Stetson
- Allowed only four hits and held the Hatters to a .143 batting average
- Did not allow a single walk in the game and struck out seven batters
- Lowered his season ERA to 2.29 with the shutout performance
- Has now thrown 18.0 consecutive scoreless innings for the Bisons
Other Nominees: Nick Deckert, FGCU; Greg Shannahan, Jacksonville; Matthew Naylor, North Florida; Mitchell Jordan, Stetson
|Date||Player of the Week||Pitcher of the Week|
|Feb. 16th||Cole Bauml, Northern Kentucky||Ian Martinez-McGraw, Lipscomb
|Feb. 23rd||Cory Reid, Stetson||Michael Murray, FGCU|
|Mar. 2nd||Patrick Mazeika, Stetson||Blake Whitney, USC Upstate|
|Mar. 9th||Donnie Dewees, North Florida||Nick Andros, Lipscomb|
|Mar. 16th||Donnie Dewees, North Florida||Travis Bergen, Kennesaw State|
|Mar. 23rd||Corey Greeson, Kennesaw State||Brady Anderson, FGCU / Jordan Hillyer, Kennesaw State|
|Mar. 30th||Nick Rivera, FGCU / Jonathan Allison, Lipscomb||Jordan Hillyer, Kennesaw State|
|Apr. 6th||Vance Vizcaino, Stetson||Michael Baumann, Jacksonville|
|Apr. 13th||Nick Rivera, FGCU||Travis Bergen, Kennesaw State / Corbin Olmstead, North Florida|
|Apr. 20th||Donnie Dewees, North Florida||Jordan Hillyer, Kennesaw State / Jeffrey Passantino, Lipscomb|
|Apr. 27th||Tyler Selesky, FGCU||Nick Andros, Lipscomb|
|May 4th||Angelo Amendolare, Jacksonville
Donnie Dewees, North Florida
|Brady Puckett, Lipscomb|
|May 11th||Parker Perez, Jacksonville||Jeffrey Passantino, Lipscomb|